Is your child a victim of the weather change? Are you in search of dry cough remedies for kids? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, you have come to the right place, because this article will talk about how you can treat the cough and improve your child’s health.
What Causes Cough?
Before we discuss anything, you need to know what is causing your child to cough. Children usually cough when their windpipe is irritated and this happens when they are making a lot of phlegm and mucus. Cough can also be a symptom of respiratory infection and is reflex action that is used to move irritating particles from the wind pipe. You would see that your child coughs more when they are lying down because the mucus is accumulated at the back of the throat.
Types of Coughs
There are four types of coughs, and you need to know about them so that you can learn what is affecting your child’s health.
- Croup cough
- Dry cough
- Wet cough
- Whooping cough
It is a harsh dry cough that is usually caused by viral infections.
It is caused by an infection such as a cold or flu.
In this type of cough, mucus is found in the lungs and in the windpipe and is caused by fluid secretions.
Whooping cough is when the child gasps for breath after coughing.
Complications of Coughs
Coughing too much affects our health, which is why it is important you look for dry cough remedies for kids. Get in touch with doctor if any of the following points are applicable in your case:
- You child is younger than one month
- They show signs of breathing disorders
- They are coughing up blood
- They turn blue while coughing
- They are having coughing spasms
- They have sinus infection
- They have chest pain
- They have high fever
- They have persistent cough that lasts for more than three weeks
Treatment for Coughs
Here are some dry cough remedies for kids that you can use:
- Make sure that your child is drinking enough water because that will prevent the mucus from thickening
- Give them hot beverages to drink.
- Make sure that they inhale humidified air which you can do by keeping a damp towel in their room or keeping a bowl of hot steaming water.
- Help them to inhale cool air as that will soothe the irritated wind pipe.
- Give them over the counter medicine.
- Get them vaccinated so that their immune system is strong.
Opt For Natural Remedies
One great way to take care of your child is to use natural ingredients. Some of the things that will help your child out are:
- Anise Seed
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Chicken Soup
- Herbal Cough Syrup
- Herbal Tea
- Lemon Juice
- Suction Bulb
- Vapour Rub
- Warm Saline Water